Monday, March 30, 2009

Yellow Peas I - Soup

In my quest to eat a more frugal, yet sustainable and nutritious diet, I turned to the yellow split pea. Two cups of organic sunny hued peas cost $1.76 at Good Health. I figured I could make 8 servings of soup, and 4 sides (or two hearty portions) of Moong Dal (mashed yellow peas) for that price, plus an onion ($.50), a ham hock ($.75 for nitrate, -ite free), garlic ($.37 for a large head), 2 T coconut milk (~$.14 per tablespoon) and some spices. So, we're looking at roughly $.30 per serving. I like those numbers!

For the soup, I followed a similar recipe to the Lentil/Pea Soup one I've shared before.

1 medium onions, chopped or sliced
2 T fat for sauteing onion
8 cups of stock or water/stock combo
1 cup of yellow split peas, soaked overnight in water and 1 T of whey/yogurt/lemon juice
pepper
5 cloves of garlic, sliced into thin rounds

optional:
lemon juice
creme fraiche

Saute onion in olive oil, lard, or butter.

When soft, add stock, hock, and peas, and boil.

There will probably be some scum that rises to the top - scoop it off.

Cover, simmer, about 30 minutes, until peas are soft.

Meanwhile, brown some garlic disks in an oil of your choice.

When peas are soft, remove hock. You can eat the soup like this, or puree it with a handheld blender.

Add lemon juice, salt, pepper, and/or creme fraiche to taste! Garnish with garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment