Saturday, March 28, 2009

Red Potato Bites



This week I tried out a local organic buying club. On Saturdays, I receive an email that lists the items that will come in a $20 box of organic produce, as well as a $30 option. It is as local as it can be (though the bananas are from South America). The following Thursday, I pick the items up in a big box. Easy as pie. I like the whole local/organic thing, as well as someone else doing my shopping for me! This week, I picked up my box and examined my 3 oranges, 3 apples, 4 bananas, 2 pears, 1/2 lb mushrooms, 1/2 lb mesculun, 1 bunch rainbow chard, 2 lb red potatoes, 2 zucchini, 1 pint grape tomatoes, and 1 lb carrots. How fun! Along with the grass-fed beef in our freezer, and a decent store of grains and fermented foods, I only bought a pineapple, a head of garlic, and some eggs the rest of the week.

Now, what to do with all my produce...well, Mark usually has pretty simple tastes, which has its pros and cons. I like that I don't have to try to come up with exotic meals if I don't feel like it (though that isn't often...). The tricky part is that sometimes things are a bit too much for him. Take my potato bites, for example. I love my new potatoes sauteed in bacon grease, rosemary, sage, oregano, basil and garlic. Mark likes them with salt and pepper. So here is my simple recipe for red potato bites:

red potatoes, cut into small cubes
sea salt
pepper
paprika
dash of red pepper

Heat some lard or bacon grease in a skillet. Add potatoes, and sprinkle with your desired amount of spices. Stir to combine and cover. Check every few minutes, and give a good stir so the potatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Start tasting them every few minutes til they're soft. Mark likes his with dirty scrambled eggs or omelettes.

*I've also made these in the oven, but I figured the stove top required less energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment