Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tomato Soup with Balsamic Vinegar

I found this recipe at Nourishing Days, and it looked too easy to pass up. I don't know what took me so long to get around to making it, but when I finally did - I couldn't believe how simple, yet delicious it was! I used all stock, and even omitted the garlic clove and onion powder in favor of a sprinkle of garlic salt due to lack of ingredients. It doesn't get much more frugal than this - $1.48 for two cans of tomato paste, and the amount of balsamic vinegar I used probably cost about $.25. So this recipe makes 6 nutritious servings of tomato soup for the price of about 1 can of Campbell's, and for only a smidgen more effort.

Serves 6
6 cups water or stock
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 minced garlic clove
black pepper to taste
5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
creme fraiche or sour cream

Lightly saute garlic in saucepan with 1 t EVOO. Add water or stock and simmer. Whisk tomato paste in until smooth. Turn heat to medium-low. Season with salt, onion powder, black pepper and balsamic vinegar.

To serve, fill bowls and add a tablespoon of creme fraiche or sour cream and stir.

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks great! I made my first ever homemade tomato soup from my garden tomatoes a couple weeks ago. It was great, but I think the addition of balsamic would make the soup even better.

    Can't wait to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I was looking for today! Yay! Thx a bunch!
    I was wondering about making a bigger batch, and then canning it for handy use. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. betheny - i have never canned anything before, but i bet you could! i would probably just freeze it in smaller portions. =)

    ReplyDelete