Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Dosas


Dosas are an amazingly simple fermented food. I've been on an Indian kick, and what better to go with curry than dosas?! Wild Fermentation has a great recipe:

Makes...a lot. And takes...a long time.


2 cups rice
1 cup lentils
1 cup kefir (or plain yogurt)
1 t salt
olive oil

optional: bunch of parsley or cilantro, minced fresh ginger


Combine rice and lentils and add water to soak overnight, or 24 hours.

Drain.

Process in blender or food processor with kefir.

Put mixture in large bowl, covered with cheesecloth or a towel.

Forget about it for three days - ::ahem:: Let it ferment for 1 - 7 days.

When ready to cook, add 1 cup warm water, or more, to a thin consistency (like crepes).

Add any seasonings, salt, and herbs.

Oil a pan and spoon in about 1/2 cup of batter, swirling so that it covers the pan.

Let cook til they bubble, like pancakes, then flip.

Repeat this about 24 times, all while saying, "This will be worth it, this will be worth it."

Store in pancake warmer on your kitchen table and grab them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Serve with Indian vegetable medley, coconut chutney, or Indian rice.

4 comments:

  1. oh yum, never had dosas- but luv makin parathas- I like that this has lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cook these when I was a nanny for a boy with a lot of food allergies. The parents made the batter and I fried them up.

    I always thought they smelled gross, though. Maybe it's because the 4-year-old I took care of dipped his in ketchup.

    I didn't realize they were fermented. I think I might try making them myself, especially since I now have a son with food allergies of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dreaming about making these for a while, ever since reading about them in Wild Fermentation. Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been eating these all week - with coconut chutney, butter, plain...maybe i'll try one with peanut butter and jelly one of these days. WELL worth the effort!!!!

    ReplyDelete