Thursday, February 12, 2009

Indian Rice

I love Indian food. Have I mentioned that before?? I think you'd have to, in order to put up with nursing fermenting lentils and rice for ten days, just to make some funky looking (and smelling!) dal. Mark and I are celebrating Valentine's Day in two ways - home cooked lobster on Saturday, and dining with friends at Bukhara in JP on Sunday! Does it get much better than that?!

That said, Indian rice is one of my favorite side dishes. The NT recipe I've based this off is super easy and delicious!

Makes about 6 servings
2 cups brown basmati rice
1 onion, chopped
2 T butter
2 T OO
1 t cumin
1 t fenugreek seeds
2 t turmeric
4 cardamom pods (or 1 t cardamom powder)
1 t salt
4 c stock

optional add-ins: raisins, dried apricots, dried coconut, scallions, peanuts, cashews

Method
Melt butter and OO.

Add all spices. Saute til onion is soft.

Add rice. Saute rice until it turns milky, stirring constantly.

Add stock and salt.

Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, uncovered.

Reduce heat, simmer tightly covered til water is evaporated.

I sometimes add the optional ingredients, plus peas, or diced left over meat, and this makes a great lunch!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh. Indian rice. Sounds good- You would probaly love Poha- its a parched rice that is stir fried with veggies and spices- so freaking good. I lurve it with raisins and peas.....

    ReplyDelete