Monday, February 9, 2009
Chocolate Banana Rice Pudding
I started racking my brain as soon as Kimi announced the Chocolate Carnival over at The Nourishing Gourmet. I'm a huge rice pudding fan. And I'm a huge chocolate fan, but I never imagined combining the two, until my mind was drifting from my morning pray time in the car on the way to work - Chocolate Rice Pudding! Divine inspiration? Maybe. Delicious, regardless? Yes!
Serves 4 (or 1 if you're like me and eat the whole thing for dinner...)
3/4 cups rice (I used Jasmine, but if I had brown rice, I would have tried that!)
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk, depending on how thick and creamy you like your pudding
3 cardamom pods, seeded
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 c cocoa powder or 1 square unsweetened chocolate
pinch of salt
2 T creme fraiche
butter to saute bananas
creme fraiche for topping
1. Add rice to medium pot and cover with water, one inch higher than rice.
2. Simmer rice, covered, until water is absorped.
3. Meanwhile, gently heat milk (less is more - you can always add later), cardamom, vanilla, salt, and chocolate.
4. When rice has absorbed liquid, add milk mixture and cook on low for about 20 minutes, until creamy.
5. Saute bananas, sliced lengthwise, in butter til soft.
6. Remove rice from heat and combine with 2 T creme fraiche.
7. Serve in individual bowls or ramekins. Place banana slices over pudding, with a dollop of creme fraiche, and dark chocolate shavings!