Monday, January 12, 2009

Nut Butter


I've been cooking almost exclusively out of Nourishing Traditions for about a year now, and it's my goal to make at least 90% of the recipes in the book (excluding kidney, heart, and brains--Mark would pack my bags if I ever served him these items and he found out.) I've been somewhat limited as my starting tools were a pot, a burned out Wal-Mart blender, and a teachable spirit. I've since purchased a dehydrator, hand held blender, grain grinder, seed sprouting jar, and Mom and Dad bought me a food processor for Christmas! I feel like the sky's the limit now!

The first recipe I wanted to tackle was nut butter.

I took

2 cups of crispy nuts (cashews this time)
1 t sea salt


and processed them until they were a coarse meal.
Then I added

3/4 coconut oil (warm, so that it's liquid)
2 T raw honey


and processed until I had a thick "butter". Oh. My. Goodness. It's heavenly. I'm not even putting it on anything. Just a little scoop every so often is enough for me. It costs about $10 for 2 cups, so this isn't something I'd make a PB&J with, but it's a nutrient dense treat that makes me very happy! If you try this, you can use almonds, peanuts, or hazelnuts too! Don't forget to store in the fridge so the nuts don't go rancid.

No comments:

Post a Comment