Friday, May 1, 2009

Fight Back Fridays: Dirty Rice


Rice is so easy and pretty darn cheap for the amount of meals it can be featured in. Last night Mark asked, "Did you mean to make this much rice?!" The answer is always not really. I usually make two cups of dried rice at a time, and end up surprised at the amount of rice that it makes. Every time. But this time, both of us love it so much, that I'm sad I didn't make more! This recipe is part of Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade. Check out the other posts that are part of this Friday's carnival.

The secret to this rice was the richness of the seafood stock that I used. After our Valentine's dinner of Cioppino, I saved the shells of all the seafood, boiled them up, and made a rice stock. You can use water or chicken stock, but I can't guarantee it'll be good. I guess you should just treat yourself to a lobster dinner...

1 T minced ginger
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 red onion, chopped finely
2-3 T coconut oil
2 cups brown rice
4 cups seafood stock
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 eggs, scrambled

Saute ginger, garlic, and onion in coconut oil. When translucent, add rice and stock.

Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat for about 40 minutes, or until fully cooked.

Add diced pepper and scrambled eggs. Serve with white fish and a green sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to try brown rice recently! Chicken stock is a great idea to add flavour! In my rice journey I have moved from Minute rice (ACK!) all the way to jasmine, basmati and arborio rice... however they are all white rices.

    Thanks for reminding me to take a deep breath and go on to the next 'rice step!' lol.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should really eat more seafood, and I'm trying (in small ways) to incorporate more of it into our diet. I've never enjoyed any of the fish-based soups I've had, so I've stayed away from making seafood stocks. This recipe makes me think it might just be worth trying!

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes me laugh remembering your moral dilimmea when it came crunch time to pot the lobster! I like the way you cook! down and dirty!

    ReplyDelete