Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Egg Muffins

I'm trying to make and freeze as many snacks and meals as I can before baby girl comes. It's been hard for me to eat as much as I need to gain weight in the third trimester, and since I know you have to eat even more as a nursing mother, I figured if I had some snacks ready, I'd be more apt to eat.

This little creation came out differently than I'd expected. I thought I would make my typical kiku, just in a muffin tin, but they puffed up so cutely, I had to call them egg muffins. The recipe is simple, and they're packed with protein, fat, nutrients, and taste. It's a perfect on-the-go breakfast or mid-day snack. Feel free to substitute bacon and/or mushrooms with kale, spinach, or leeks.

Ingredients
1 dozen eggs
1 lb bacon, browned and diced
1 lb mushrooms (portobella are filled with vitamin D), sauteed in butter or EVOO
1/2 t garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic, sauteed
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmesan for the topping

Method
Combine all ingredients except Parmesan.
Put 1/3 cup of mixture in each muffin pan. (I used silicone and didn't have to grease or put cups in)
Sprinkle with Parmesan.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until tops are browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
If freezing, let cool completely on wire rack, and then put in a freezer bag or container.

No comments:

Post a Comment