Monday, March 2, 2009

Root Vegetable Cobbler with Millet Dumplings


Thanks again to Kimi from The Nourishing Gourmet. She has some fantastic recipes, this one included! I've tweaked it a bit to suit our liking. I seriously could eat this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's definitely frugal, and yet filling. On my next attempt, I will add diced, cooked chicken and lessen the amount of potato. I'll make 1.5 times the filling, and make it a crust, so it's like a chicken pot pie.

Vegetable filling:
3 tablespoons of butter
1 large onion, chopped
3 red potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, cut into rounds
1 turnip, peeled and cubed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 T dried thyme
1 teaspoon of pepper
2 c chicken stock
1 cup of water
1/2 c of cream and 1/2 c whole milk, OR 1 c of either
1 cup of peas (optional - I left these out b/c we didn't have them)

Note: I cut my vegetables into 1/2" cubes, so my timing is based on smaller chunks. It will take longer if you prefer larger veggies.

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add all of the root vegetables, broth and water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer just until vegetables are tender (around ten to twenty minutes).

Meanwhile...


Biscuit topping:

2 cups millet
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk


Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

Back to the veggies - when they are tender, add milk, cream and peas and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.

Pour into 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Drop in big spoonfuls of millet mixture onto the veggies.

Bake about 18 minutes in oven. Let stand 5 minutes and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment