Monday, March 2, 2009

Clam Chowder


This is too easy, and too good to pass up. It's adapted from the Joy of Cooking. Next time, I'll make my own bread bowls. We enjoyed this soup with homemade crackers and seeded sourdough.
Makes 4 servings

4 strips bacon, diced
2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
2 bay leaf
1 T fresh thyme
2 T unsalted butter
2 c seafood stock (made like chicken stock, except with shrimp, crab, and lobster shells), or clam juice
1 large russet potato cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 c heavy cream
2 6.5 oz cans of clams, chopped (Bar Harbor brand is excellent - fresh clams are great too!)
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper

Cook the bacon until just beginning to crisp over medium heat in a soup pot. Add the onion, bay leaf, thyme & butter. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the stock & potato & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer & cook until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.

Add cream & clams and simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in parsley and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. umm, did you make this today or did you steal into my kichen and eat ours cause this s what I made for lunch. and I wish I wish Iwish I could have had some bacon in it:(

    ReplyDelete