Friday, March 13, 2009

Black Bean Burgers with Harissa


I'm so full right now. Full, as in I-can't-keep-my-pants-buttoned full. Tonight's meal was one of those meals I just didn't want to end, before I even took one bite. It didn't come out perfectly in terms of presentation, so please forgive the crude photo, but oh. my. goodness. The flavors were amazing. I took the recipe from Becky and the Beanstalk, and adapted it a bit. I used her 5 minute buns recipe too, but added caramelized onions to the top.

My favorite thing about the recipe, aside from the fantastic taste and my first experience with harissa of course, was the minimal prep. I soaked and cooked my beans this week, so it was just a matter of sauteing the onions and garlic, and then adding everything to a food processor! Mark was so impressed with the depth of flavor, and the homemade rolls. I didn't tell him they were called 5 minute buns, but I did tell him, "Even you can make them, hon!" He seemed more impressed with the idea that I actually did make them, than with the thought that he could too. This is a definite keeper. As brother Thomas says, "Too easy, Megan. Too easy."

Ingredients
several scallions, finely diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 cups cooked black beans (2 cans)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon harissa paste (for homemade, scroll to bottom of post)
2 teaspoons ground cumin seed (or cumin powder)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
pinch of pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
handful fresh chopped cilantro
handful fresh chopped parsley
bacon grease, lard, or olive oil for frying

Saute scallions and garlic.
Combine all ingredients, except 1 cup of beans, in a food processor til smooth.
Stir in remaining beans.
Fry 'em up!

Please serve these with avocado and caramelized onions. You'd really be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't. We also had homemade ketchup, and easy potato chunks (think: homefries) that I make in large batches and freeze.

2 comments:

  1. Love the recipe. WE are bb burger fanatics here recently- I have some harissa in the fridge so I'll be making these this week- I think!!! Do you think I could make the mayo in a blender? I don't have a smachy fancy food processer and I just bought the wilderness naturals mayo and quite honestly IT SUCKS! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely made mayo in the blender before. go for it! i just happen to find a recipe that called for a stick blender and i liked the ease in clean up! it stays good for awhile too, if you add whey. (and if you add whey, and then you go dairy free, you just have to make some more =)

    ReplyDelete