Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mayonnaise


I've tried making mayonnaise a few times, but with not much luck. I came across this recipe at The Nourishing Gourmet, and I knew I had found gold! Not only is this easy, but it's quick, nutritious, and cheaper than store bought!!

2 egg yolks (I use farm fresh eggs from my local farmer)

½ tsp. mustard

1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 tsp. balsamic vinegar

1 tsp. celtic sea salt

1 T whey (optional)

¾ c. oil- grapeseed or olive oil, but grapeseed has a much milder flavor

Combine all ingredients except oil in a small jar and mix using a stick blender. If you don't have a stick blender, you can do this in a food processor, or regular blender. Slowly add oil, moving stick blender up and down to homogenize. If you used whey, the mayo should be good for several months in the fridge. If not, it will keep for two weeks.

You can add paprika, curry, or other spices to use for chicken or tuna salad. Experiment and enjoy your nutritionally sound mayonnaise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment