Thursday, January 1, 2009

Today in Food

Kefir Warmer
I've been having either at least a half a cup of kefir or 1 cup of raw milk daily to bolster my immune system, so I'm trying to find new ways to drink the kefir. This morning, I added 1 T of raw honey, some vanilla extract, and 1/4 t of cinnamon. Definitely good! It was warming, and pretty easy to throw back.

Potato Skins
I also made some potato skins to munch on. I washed and cut the ends off some baking potatoes, and then brushed them with butter. I baked them at 350 for an hour, sliced them the long way, scooped out the flesh, brushed with butter, and baked again. I sprinkled some raw cheddar on them after they came out of the oven. Delicious! Definitely a keeper. It was like eating potato chips, but better.

Dinner

I wanted salmon, Mark wanted chicken. So we made both. I baked my salmon, he stir-fried his chicken with a green and red pepper. And we both used this tangy, sweet sauce!

Teriyaki Sauce
(makes 3/4 cup)
1 T fresh garlic, minced
3 garlic cloves, mashed
1 T sesame oil
1 T rice vinegar
1 T raw honey
1/2 c naturally fermented soy sauce

Whisk all ingredients together.

For a side dish, we enjoyed millet cakes. I made a huge batch of millet over the summer, and then froze it in 2 cup baggies, so this was super quick, easy, and probably one of the best recipes I've made in awhile!

Millet Cakes
4 cups cooked millet (soaked overnight in warm water and whey; boiled, skimmed, cooked on low 45 min)
4 eggs
1/2 arrowroot powder (flour would work too!)
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
3/4 c grated parm cheese (optional)
butter for sauteeing

Blend eggs with flour and seasonings and fold in millet, onion, cilantro and cheese. Melt butter in saute pan and pan down mix 1" thick (may need two batches). If you can flip it over, great. If not, throw the saute pan in the oven for a few minutes to brown top. This is not the most efficient, but I wasn't able to form them into patties, so I improvised. If your mixture is sticky enough, go ahead and make patties!

No comments:

Post a Comment