Thursday, January 15, 2009

Slow Cooked Chicken



I can't live without my Rival Slow Cooker. My parents got it as a wedding present over 28 years ago! It still works beautifully. One of the easiest meals I make is a slow cooked chicken with vegetables. Depending on time, I season the chicken with

oregano
sage
rosemary
basil
salt
pepper
garlic

or

cumin
salt
pepper
garlic
turmeric
cardamom

Then, I put a coarsely cut up onion in the pot, place the chicken on top, add some red potatoes, and pour a cup or so of water along the sides to avoid disturbing the spices on the chicken.

Cover, and cook on low for the day! We leave our slow cooker on when we're not home and have never had a problem (except that time I forgot to plug it in and the cat played with a raw rump roast all day...)

Gravy
I make a gravy from the liquid in the cooker before I serve the chicken.

1 c cooking liquid
2 T arrowroot powder or flour
2 T butter

Make a rue with butter and flour, and add liquid gradually. Season to taste.

**Don't forget to save your chicken carcass for stock!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment