Friday, November 7, 2008

Gratitude Journal - Gym Edition

I haven't been to a gym in about three months. I think that's the longest I've gone since my first membership at HealthTrax when I was 14 years old. It was intentional, as my knees and elbows were hurting over the summer, and I thought walking and doing yoga in our bedroom was the most feasible and economic solution, considering our current one salary lifestyle. The only gym near us is Gold's Gym and it costs (::gasp::) $49 a month! I was determined, throughout all of September and October to walk every day and practice yoga through YogAmazing podcasts. That lasted until daylight savings time began...and until my pants didn't quite fit the way they used to.

I can't say that I totally abhorred the softer body, nor did I have trouble filling the 15 hours a week I normally spent working out. But slowly, and surely, I started going a little cuckoo. My bouts of rage and stress have been creeping up on me like bootie shorts on fat thighs. Last night, after another "baby fever" meltdown, I decided that I need an outlet. It's dark by the time I get home most nights, so walking is out of the question, and downward dogs just aren't enough. So I took the plunge.

This afternoon, I walked into Gold's Gym in Needham without any expectations, and left on an emotional and physical high. Upon entrance, the average person probably sees rows upon rows of mediocre, late '90s cardio equipment. Not me. It was like entering Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory (and you must know how much I love chocolate!). I didn't know which one to sample first. Should I try out the old Stairmaster? How about the Lifecycle? Maybe I should take a trip over to the Precor elliptical. Choices, choices. I finally settled on a corner elliptical, flanked by a middle aged man with bulging trapezoid muscles and bleached blond hair, and a petite woman donning sports bra, spandex pants, and a pancake butt. I was in heaven.

The first drip of sweat came from my elbow. I love elbow sweat. It's like the first snowflake. You may not always see it, but when you feel it, you know you're in for a big treat. Next came the knee drip. My long pants were making me very hot, but I figured I hadn't sweat in so many months that maybe it was a good thing. Like a mini sauna. I burned 364 calories, read and disagreed with an entire edition of Women's Health magazine, and stumbled off the machine with legs as tight as the 2000 presidential race. I don't think I've been this happy in a long, long time.

Tomorrow: Zumba class at 10am!

No comments:

Post a Comment