Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Farmer's Markets and Fun with Food

I think it's been a week since my last post! I've been busy cooking, planting, BBQ-ing, and visiting with fam and friends. Last Saturday, Mark came to the Hingham Farmer's Market with me. The unexpected surprises of the market were as follows:

kohlrabi
super sweet strawberries
bok choy
broccoli
romaine lettuce
green beans
beets

Kohlrabi is a fun vegetable I had never before encountered. It's like a mix between a cabbage and an apple. Sort of. So, I cut off the skin, cut it up in bite sized pieces, mixed with sliced apples and crispy pine nuts, and garnished with goat cheese, scallions, ACV, and flax oil. Delish! Oh, and I sauteed the leaves with garlic and butter and they were so tender and amazing.

The bok choy was an unexpected delight. I get so excited about food. (Who says a vegetable is an "unexpected delight"??) I sauteed the stalks and leaves separately, in peanut oil and mashed garlic, and have been feasting on it for dinner.

On another note, No-buy Ju-ly has been almost laughingly easy for me. I realized that I don't buy things. Maybe I need a new challenge. The only thing I was tempted to buy was the book Food, Not Lawns, and that was only because the library didn't have it. I have plenty of other books on my "to-read" list, so I figured I could go without. I'm currently plugging away at Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's reminding me quite a bit of Omnivore's Dilemma.

I'm off to feed my sourdough starter. I started it four days ago, and will be ready to start a bread this weekend. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment