Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Day 8 and I'm breaking down...

My hair doesn't smell bad anymore. It just doesn't smell like high fructose corn syrup, which is OK with me. I kind of like the earthy smell. What is a bit concerning are the flakes that just appeared at the crown of my head. I read that baking soda will do that. But baking soda is the only thing that makes it feel clean. But baking soda also dries out my hair. It's like a pair of really great heels - makes your legs look sexy but your toes hurt like crazy.

This morning I mixed 1 T of BS, 2 T condition, and 1 t of brown sugar, and I felt like it was relatively clean and pretty healthy looking. But the grease comes back pretty quickly, and the curls...they just look different. I guess maybe it isn't bad-different, I only think it is because women are supposed to have uber clean, uber shiny hair, which translates into hair that says, "i-get-the-crap-kicked-out-of-me-every-day-with-products", just so it can be considered sexy. I'm trying to change my perspective. Health is what I'm aiming for, but on a daily basis I have to chase away the voices that say it's all about image. Maybe the "voices" will fade just like the grease is supposed to...

I'm so tempted to wash with 'poo and -cones tomorrows. But if I can just get through the next two days, I'll have three days off of work and I can try to push through the grease phase, and move into the "my hair produces its own sebum phase." One day at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment