Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baked Stuffed Fish with Creamy Collard Greens

Can I just put this out there?

I'm not a great food photographer. No one will be giving me any special blogging awards for my orangey-yellow food pics. That said, I think what I make tastes pretty darned good. So there. You'll just have to trust me. And go to those other food blogs for visual inspiration. They're really pretty, but I can't guarantee the final product.

So this pregnancy, I've been craving fish. (If you've been following me for more than four years, you may remember that the last pregnancy consisted of lots of goat cheese and homemade sourdough bread, so fish is certainly a step up!). I normally make the same pan fried buttery garlic haddock, which is easy and delicious, but I wanted out of that rut.

Enter: baked stuffed flounder. You can use any white fish you want, but flounder has a high omega-3 count (and maybe it was on sale too...), so I opted to expand my horizons. If you're not a collard greens fan, just stick with me on this one. You'll hardly know it's there, and afterwards, you'll feel all healthy inside for consuming so much good stuff in one sitting.

This will whip up and be plate-ready in 30 minutes. You have no excuses.

For two servings
2/3 pound of white fish
bunch of collard greens (spinach, kale, or other greens will do just fine!), chopped into 1/2 inch ribbons
3 T butter
1 red or yellow onion, chopped
3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
8 ounces sour cream (my favorite)
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cheese, shredded or just cut up small (I used gouda and parmesan)
salt and pepper


  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • On stove top, add butter to saute pan. 
  • Melt, and add onion. Cook about 5 minutes, til soft. 
  • Add garlic. Cook a few minutes.  
  • Add greens and cook until soft, about 8-10 minutes for collards.
  • Add sour cream and wine. Stir well.
  • When sour cream and wine are thoroughly mixed into greens, add cheese. Cook until melted, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Arrange fish pieces on top of a bit of butter in an oven safe dish. 
  • Spoon green mixture onto one half of each fish piece, and fold over, to make a "sandwich." Bake until the fish is flaky. It only took about five minutes for my thin flounder. 
  • Take a picture, and I'll post it on my blog. 
 I served it with some left over rice. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment