Monday, February 1, 2010

Sardine Salad

There's something about the word "sardine" that just gives me the heeby-jeebies. They rank right up there with cod liver oil or anchovies (which have their rightful place in salad dressings and tomato sauces). So the can I bought at the beginning of pregnancy has stayed firmly in the corner of the cupboard...until today.

A long day at work, coupled with knowing Mark isn't come home for dinner, usually leaves me with little motivation to cook. I'd already had eggs for lunch and oatmeal for breakfast, so I had to come up with something fast. Thus, my sardine salad was born. I figured I'd be choking those little nasties down, but it turns out they taste like TUNA FISH, which of course I haven't eaten since August, due to minimal mercury concerns. What a great find - especially knowing they're packed with calcium and iron. So, although I am by no means counting the following recipe as a gourmet meal, it's a nutritional powerhouse, and actually tasted pretty darn yummy! It could serve as a guideline as to what to do when you just don't feel like cooking.


Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
2 cups greens (I used arugula)
1/2 red pepper, sliced or chopped (vitamin C!)
1 can flaked sardines (iron, calcium)
1 sliced avocado (fiber, folate)
1/4 c sunflower seeds (magnesium, vitamin E)

You could throw on any veggies you have, or any seeds/nuts.

Dressing
1/2 cup whole milk yogurt or sour cream or creme fraiche (calcium)
1 T mayonnaise (mine was homemade so it had good enzymes from the raw egg yolk)
2 T raw apple cider vinegar (helps with digestion)
glug of olive oil

Blend dressing. Add to salad ingredients. Mix. Revel in your strange, but delicious, dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment