Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins



I don't know why I have such difficulty with photos. It's not my forte. These muffins were beautiful - great crumb, dotted with chocolate chunks, high top, sturdy body.  It's hard to tell, but hopefully you won't hold it against the muffin. It's my fault. They taste heavenly - light, fluffy, and just the right amount of sweetness. You'd hardly know they were made from whole wheat flour.

So what gives? Two posts in one day? Well, after making these, I knew I had to share.  I made them for a few reasons: I've been waking up in the middle of the night starving, and Mark enjoys a good midday snack, and I had 1 cup of sourdough starter that I had to discard, so I figured I'd hit all these points in a good muffin. There's no refined sugar in here, the flour is whole wheat, and the sourdough starter helps with digestion. What's not to love? I couldn't hold this recipe back from you. If you don't have a sourdough starter and you live close, give me a shout and I'll gladly give you some of mine...even if you don't live close and you're a faithful (or lukewarm) reader, I'll mail some. I obtained my starter from a blogging friend I've never met in Virginia - the one whose recipe I've adapted below, actually - so I am happy to pass on the love.

Sourdough Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Adapted from Vehement Flame's recipe


1/2 c butter
scant 1/2 c honey
2 eggs
2 c whole wheat flour
1 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1 ts sea salt
1 ts cinnamon
1 T vanilla
1 c fed and rested starter
3 mashed bananas
1/2 - 1 cup of chocolate chips (I just cut up some dark chocolate squares I had)
 
Cream together butter and honey. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and cinnamon. Add to wet. Mix together starter and bananas. Add to wet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until toothpick in center comes out dry. Don't overbake though! Let cool and then slather with butter and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These are amazing!!! Tried them out on Saturday! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete