Sunday, July 26, 2009

Easy Chicken Pad Thai

Can I sneak a post in, even though I'm technically on "break"? I think you'll forgive me, because this recipe is just too good and easy. Do you like pad thai? Do you only eat it at reputable (or not-so-reputable Thai restaurants) because it's just too complicated to make? Or do you buy the Thai Kitchen all-in-a-box pad thai? Well, I'm here to tell you that a tasty pad thai doesn't have to break the bank, or your back, if you want to make it at home. Is it totally authentic? No, it's not. I can't seem to find tamarind anywhere, so I've given up, but Mark doesn't know the difference, and we like it all the same. It takes about 30 minutes to make, and this recipe serves up 4 servings. Sorry no pics, but Mark said this was the best one yet, so I just had to share!

Here's what you'll need:

Sauce:
4 T fish sauce
4 T rice vinegar
2-3 T raw or thick honey
2 T ketchup (homemade was really good here, as it's thick and not super sweet)

2 chicken breasts, cut up into cubes OR 1 lb shrimp OR combo of both
peanut or sesame oil
rice noodles (8oz worked well for us - half of a standard package)
3 eggs (farm fresh with big yolks made a difference this time!)
5 cloves of garlic, mashed with mortar and pestle, or minced
a few scallions or onion tops

Garnish:
1/4 - 1/2 cup cilantro
juice of 1 lime

Bring some water to a boil. Add noodles for 5 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cool water. Set aside.

Saute chicken in oil on medium heat. When almost cooked through, add scallions and garlic.

Meanwhile, mix sauce ingredients and set aside.

When chicken is set, I pushed it to the side of my large cast iron skillet and scrambled up the eggs. If your pan isn't large enough, you can dirty another pan, or put the chicken in a dish while you scramble.

Add sauce and noodles, cooking on low. You'll want a big pasta fork to distribute the sauce evenly. Add lime and cilantro, and you're done! I also like to add peanuts, or some steamed bean sprouts if we have them on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment