Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Garlicky Spinach and Bean Soup


I said I wasn't going to post anymore tonight. I have a kitchen to clean and veggie burgers to package and the Biggest Loser to watch. But I can't help it. Plus, I really wanted to participate in this week's Real Food Wednesday at Cheeseslave! Check out her site for more great posts. This recipe practically feels like a sin not to share it. Quick, easy, nutritious, and satisfying - what else is there??

I had some leftover sprouted beans from my veggie burgers, and the last cup of seafood stock in the fridge was getting dangerously close to an expiration date. So, I whipped up a recipe I heard on NPR's Food podcast. Chefs were given $10 to feed four people a tasty, filling dinner. Chef Jose Andres shared garbanzos con espinacas, or for those of you that failed high school Spanish, chickpeas with spinach. His recipe is a little fancier than mine, and takes a bit longer, but check it out if you're in the mood for some Spanish food! I simplified the recipe, and ended up with something that cost minimal $$, but was big on flavor. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1-2 cups chickpeas, sprouted and steamed, canned, or soaked and cooked
2 cups stock or water
6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup bread, crusts removed (I used frozen breadcrumbs from this sprouted wheat bread)
1 tablespoon paprika or sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1-2 cups spinach, washed and cleaned
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
  • Combine chickpeas and stock. Bring to a boil.
  • Lower heat and simmer while you do the next step.
  • Brown garlic in olive oil. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  • Add the bread to olive oil and brown. Turn off heat.
  • Put garlic back in pan, and add spices.
  • Using a mortar and pestle or the back of a sturdy spoon, mash garlic and bread to form a paste as best you can.
  • Add to simmering chickpeas.
  • Add spinach and cook til wilted.
  • Season to taste!
Note: This will get thicker the longer it sits. My second helping was much more like a stew than the first!


No comments:

Post a Comment