Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Coconut Maple Pie




The last time I ate pie for breakfast was probably 2006, BRF (before real food). It was that deliciously easy Swedish apple pie that Mom taught me how to make. We'd make them once a week in the fall and then whenever else I had a hankering for sweet. The cup of sugar and cup of flour, coupled with an apple mold allergy that always left me with intense stomach cramps, was enough for me to give up my morning pie. I was OK with that though, as breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I seldom run out of great meal ideas. If by chance I do, a huge helping of kale or a serving of cold rice and avocado has been known to grace my plate.

Yesterday, however, I realized that I can have my pie and eat it too. Thanks to Vehement Flame's amazing recipe, I found a satisfying addition to cycle into my morning repertoire: Coconut Maple Pie. She calls it Maple Oat Breakfast Pie, but I hardly noticed the oats, and fully enjoyed the coconut. I had to make a few changes because I'm dairy free, but if you can do butter and cream, I'd HIGHLY recommend checking out her recipe. Maybe one day I'll be able to! VF soaks both her crust and oats to maximize nutritional value. I was too eager to try the pie, so I didn't take those steps. You certainly can, but here's my recipe just as I made it yesterday. Pictures to follow soon!


Barley Crust
3/4 c whole barley flour
1/4 c bread flour
1 T turbinado or your favorite natural sweetener
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 c solid cold coconut oil
1 egg
1-2 t coconut milk
  • Combine flours, sugar, and salt.
  • Cut in oil until dough is crumbly.
  • Add egg. I used my hands to mix it thoroughly.
  • Sprinkle on cream and mix til the dough comes together.
  • Refridgerate ball of dough wrapped in plastic for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
  • Roll out dough (if it's been in the fridge awhile, you may want to let it warm up a bit beforehand!).
  • Place in a pie pan and refridgerate while you finish making the filling.
Filling
1/2 c rolled oats (not instant!)
1 c water
3/4 c maple syrup
4 eggs
1/4 c turbinado (or you could use maple sugar - I just didn't have any!)
4 T melted coconut oil
1 c shredded coconut

  • Soak the oats 30 minutes to plump them up, or overnight in water. If you're concerned about the phytates in the oats (anti-nutrients that bind to minerals our bodies need, preventing us from absorping them), add 1 T of vinegar, lemon juice, or whey, and 1 T of whole wheat flour.
  • Cook oats until thick and creamy then allow to cool a bit.
  • Then, mix together the rest of your ingredients and pour into shell.
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake for another 20-25 minutes until center is set.
  • VF recommends cooling the pie for 30 minutes before serving. Good luck with that one!

1 comment:

  1. if you keep this up people will think I'm paying you to blog about my blog. did you get my last check?thanks for making it dairy free for me. and BF pie is the best way to start yur day- either that or chcolate:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete