Friday, April 17, 2009

Fight Back Fridays: Coconut Milk Pudding

Hopefully I don't have to convince you of the benefits of coconut. It's one of my favorite flavors and I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner...which is what I've been doing. =) My recent favorite coconut creation is a GFCF, raw, real food Coconut Chocolate Pudding. It contains chia seeds, which have a number of health benefits, including being rich in Omega 3s, protein and antioxidant, and they contain hydrophilic colloids (the same stuff that makes our bone broth so great), which aid in digestion. It's made with a few ingredients, and takes no time at all! I adapted this recipe from Diet, Dessert, and Dogs, which always seems to inspire me on the dessert side of things. Sorry no picture but this one got gobbled up fast!!

1 can of whole coconut milk, stirred
1/4 c chia seeds (less for a thinner pudding)
2 T (or more) raw cocoa or carob powder
2 T honey or maple syrup
1/4 t stevia powder

Stir well. I used my immersion blender because I have very thick honey. It came out nice and fluffy!

Let sit in fridge for as long as you can resist.

The chia seeds will have absorped much of the water, leaving you with a thick pudding.

Serve with shredded coconut, a dollop of creme fraiche, or some raw nuts!

Fighting Back
Now, because it is Fight Back Friday, I wanted to share about something I'm doing personally to fight back. For the last 40 years, Project Bread has hosted an annual Walk for Hunger in Boston. Last year alone they served over 43 million meals to hungry people, and 30% of them were kids! I'll be walking for the third time this year, and my goal is to raise $500. I realized that by putting this out there to my blogging community, I might be able to blow that number away!! I've been asking people to donate small sums, like the cost of a coffee, tea, beer, kombucha, or soda. Can you give a small amount? Follow this link to my Walk Center, and you can give online. The residents of Massachusetts and I thank you greatly!

For other ways to fight back, check out Fight Back Friday over at Food Renegade

8 comments:

  1. Yahoo! Dairy free! Ummm, yes I am pulling out The Balanced Plate to start cooking for the hubster and me as we venture on dairy free:) On day two and the baby's skin, I swear, is so much better- maybe I'm just imagining it:) Do you buy your coconut milk in bulk? I was planning on picking up at case at Whole Foods unless you know of a cheaper route? any ideas on a dairless coffee creamer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't buy coconut milk in bulk, though I have thought about it often. It's pretty darn expensive, but I haven't found other alternatives - yet. And that's your answer to dairy-less coffee creamer - coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. look smartie- I don't want coconut coffee!!! I should have said any ideas OTHER than coconut- i am going to make up a batch of rice milk fr iced coffee at least- maybe I can figure out a rice creamer method???? or maybe we'll just buy some SOY CREAMER_ NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VehementFlame -- What about almond milk? Almond sounds like it would go well in coffee.

    Emerald Green -- Love the pudding recipe! It dounds so tasty.

    Thanks for participating in Fight Back Fridays today, and good luck with your fundraising!

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for quick and yummy pudding! I've been dying to try it with coconut milk, so I'm glad you did and it worked so well! Of course I'd probably prefer your version (with maple syrup instead of stevia!) but will have to wait until my cleanse is over (boo hoo!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that your letting people know about the benefits of chia seeds.

    If you'd like more info about chia seeds, please visit our site at www.ChiaSeedsDirect.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Don. I love chia! I'll be trying to incorporate some more of it into my diet and recipes soon, and will certainly blog about it more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny. I posted a little about coconut today for fight back friday also. So many people still think it is bad for you! We have to keep talking about it.

    This pudding sounds great!

    ReplyDelete