Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spiced Beef and Vegetable



I loosely adapted this meal from a post over at Vehement Flame. Her meal looked awesome, and I've been longing to give it a try, but I didn't quite know how to cook the couscous without her special couscous cooker (though I tried), and I didn't have some of the spices on hand, so the end result is a bit different...but at least you know where the inspiration came from! I love vegetables, spices, and beef together, so this was a quick, tasty meal. You can substitute any of the vegetables, or meat to your liking.

Makes 4 servings
1 lb stewing beef or sirloin, cut into cubes

Saute beef in lard or bacon grease.

Chop the following as small or as chunky as you'd like:
1 leek
1 eggplant
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 onion
2 carrots
5 cloves garlic
butter, lard, or coconut oil



Saute the vegetables, starting with the leek and onion for several minutes, followed by the carrots, peppers, and eggplant.

Tadka
1/4 c coconut oil
1 T sea salt
1 t pepper
1 T turmeric
1 T coriander
1 T cumin
2 T grated ginger
1/2 t red pepper
1/2 t cinnamon

Heat coconut oil, and add spices, stirring til fragrant.

Combine beef, vegetables, and tadka.

Enjoy over couscous, rice, or a grain of your choice!

1 comment:

  1. Nice take. A true Moroccoan would have used Lamb. But I forgive you.Love the vegetable selection.

    ReplyDelete