Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sauerkraut Sausage Soup

This soup is very easy, nutritionally dense, and filling. For more on making your own sauerkraut, check out this post. I'm sorry there's no pic. I made the soup, ate some, and now it's cold and in the fridge, not looking its prettiest. (Think hungover soup at 8am on a Sunday. That kind of "not pretty.") I will take one soon though!

Ingredients
2 chicken sausages (I usually buy the Whole Foods sweet chicken sausage)

6 cups chicken stock, water, or combination (I actually used 2 cups sauerkraut juice the last time I made this because I was running out of stock - fantastic!)

1 c sauerkraut

1/2 bunch of kale or spinach

2 c white beans (either soaked over night, cooked, or canned)

3 cloves of smashed garlic

2 bay leaves

glug of olive oil

Method
Brown chicken sausages in large stock pot.
Remove, and slice into rounds.
Add chicken stock, beans, garlic, olive oil and bay leaves to the pot. Simmer 15 minutes, unless your beans weren't cooked. If they were just soaked, simmer til beans are soft!
Add kale or spinach, and simmer til soft.
Add sausage.
Season to taste.
After ladling soup into bowls, add 1/2 c sauerkraut to each portion!

No comments:

Post a Comment