Thursday, March 5, 2009

Roasted Beet and Cheese Pie



I think I've turned a corner. Mark always used to complain that I had to plan out all of my recipes. Now, I'm improvising and inventing, and it's invigorating! (If only my students were reading my blog - they'd love the alliteration =) This evening, after eating 1 roasted beet with my lunch for the 10th day in a row, I decided I needed to get rid of them: fast. So, with a little inspiration from A Good Appetite, I made breakfast for the next few days. The pie is so pink, it looks like a Valentine's Day breakfast gone wrong, but I promise it tastes far more sophisticated than it's frilly exterior might allude to.

Millet Crust
3/4 cup millet
1/4 c milk
1 egg
1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
dash red pepper

Puree in food processor. Press into tart or pie pan, (cover with parchment paper and pie weights if available) and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Filling
6 medium beets, roasted, and cut into 1/8" slices
1 onion
3 cloves of garlic
3 strips of bacon, crisped and chopped
1/4 c milk
1/4 c creme fraiche
2 eggs
4 T goat or crumbly cheese
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
sea salt
pepper

Saute onion and garlic.
Combine with the rest of the ingredients.
Add to crust.
Top with Parmesan.
Bake at 350 about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man that sounds so good. I love millet. I love beets with gost cheese. I love bacon. Yum

    ReplyDelete