Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pumpkin Pie



I mentioned the Pecan Pie in a previous post, but the Pumpkin Pie beats it hands down. I tried my hand at the homemade pie crust again, and I think I've found a winning recipe. Check out the flakiness in the picture!

Best Pie Crust Recipe

1 1/4 cup of all purpose or pastry flour
pinch of sea salt
1/2 c frozen butter, cut into pieces
4+ T ice cold water

I used my food processor for this recipe, so I can't say how it would turn out if I used other tools. I pulsed the flour and sea salt once to mix them.

I evenly distributed the small pieces of butter on top of the flour, and pulsed several times until the butter was pea-sized.

I turned the food processor on, and streamed the ice water in. I immediately turned off the food processor and gathered the dough into a ball. (It was a bit crumbly.)

I refrigerated the dough for a few hours, and then rolled it out on a floured surface. It makes enough dough for a crust and some lattice work. It is so flaky and delicious!

Pumpkin Pie Recipe


1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
3/4 c raw, unrefined sugar
1 T freshly grated ginger
1 T cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/4 t cloves
1/2 t nutmeg
grated rind of a lemon
1 cup creme fraiche

Line 9-inch pie pan with flaky pie crust dough.

Cream eggs and sugar.

Gradually blend in the rest of the ingredients.

Pour into pie shell. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I would use a cookie sheet under the pie pan, just in case anything drips over!

No comments:

Post a Comment