Monday, October 6, 2008

Spinach Kiku and Fritata

Over the past year, I've been enjoying oatmeal with bananas or apples or peaches, with lots of butter, but I wanted to add some more eggs into my diet. I've made so many omelets over the last few years, that I think I OD'd on eggs. Also, omelets take far more time than I have to prepare, cook, and clean up from. I thought I was doomed to eat only soft boiled eggs. Then, enter Kiku and Fritatas. Both of these meals can be made with any vegetables you'd like. In fact, the picture below is roasted red pepper kiku, and the first time I made kiku was with extra eggplant!



Spinach Kiku
2 cups of cooked chooped spinach, squeezed dry
chopped fresh herbs or 1 t dried herbs
1 medium sliced red onion (sometimes I saute in butter if time, sometimes just add raw)
6 eggs
2 cloves peeled crushed garlic
juice of 1 lemon (optional)
sea salt, pepper
seasonings such as oregano, rosemary, thyme

Combine all ingredients and pour into olive oiled (key for clean-up!) 9 x 13 pan.
Bake about 30 minutes at 375 F.
I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on the top too. Yumm!

This is delicious cold or hot. I bring portions for a quick, easy lunch too. You can also substitute roasted eggplant for the spinach.

Thin Herb Fritatas
These are amazingly delicious! The creme fraiche made the meal! You may need to shop around some international/gourmet stores for either piima cream or creme fraiche -don't skimp. =) I'm in the process of making my own, so I can definitely share for a fraction of the price. Let me know if you're interested!


3 eggs
1 T each chives and basil, chopped
1 t thyme
1 t parsley
2 T parmesan cheese
2 T creme fraiche
sea salt and pepper
olive oil or butter

Mix eggs with herbs, cheese, cream, and seasonings. Heat a small, cast-iron skillet and brush with olive oil. Pour 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into the pan and tilt the pan to spread the mixture. When the fritata has set, flip over to brown the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment