Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Cookie Monster

I ate 9 cookies tonight. I'd been doing pretty well. And it's not like I'm starving, or even that I just love the taste. I've decided my problem is emotional eating, but I haven't quite figured out how to solve it. In the meantime, let me tell you about my kishk granola. Dad tried some yesterday and clearly has no affinity for fermented cracked wheat, but that's ok. I'm not deterred.

I started out with 1 cup of plain, whole fat yogurt, and 1 cup of sprouted, hand milled cracked wheat. I mixed them well and put the mixture in a covered bowl. I let it sit for 24 hours, then mixed again to prevent surface mold. I continued this process for 9 days. (Yes, there was yogurt sitting on my counter, at room temperature, for 10 days.) At the end of that time, I spread the kishk thinly on an oiled cookie sheet and dried it in my oven for about 24 hours. It was supposed to be dried at 150 degrees, but our oven's lowest temp is 170, so I improvised. I would heat the oven to 300 for about 2 minutes, then turn it off, and continue this process every hour or so until I went to bed. When I woke up the following morning, I couldn't really deal with the kishk and let it just sit in the oven with the pilot light on for another 10 hours. It turned out nice and crispy, despite my rather lackadaisical attitude. I mixed the kishk with dried cherries from this summer's overabundance, unsweetened dried coconut, raw cacao nibs, and crispy pecans. If I'm able, I like to add plain yogurt to this "granola." Yumm! This is a great alternative to store bought, even "organic" granola that is made with cane syrup and oils that go rancid when heated at high temps - not to mention the unsoaked oatmeal...

I hate to end on a sour note, so here's a list of the best foods I've prepared over the last week:

Chicken Stock with chicken feet
Split Pea Soup
Carrot Soup
Nutmeg and butter spaghetti squash

No comments:

Post a Comment