Sunday, June 29, 2008

Book Review: Omnivore's Dilemma


The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen

I'm going to cheat with this one. My friend, Mel Krumrey, who has a great blog, was the one who inspired me to put book reviews on here. One of the books she has reviewed on her blog is The Omnivore's Dilemma. So, instead of reinventing the wheel, I'm going to supply her review, along with some of my own words.

I read this book in about four days, while in Aruba. Some may say it's not the best beach reading, but I seemed to have developed a pattern of reading intense nutritional/environnmental books while on relaxing vacations. To keep this short and simple, I would highly recommend this book to anyone. Pollan is thorough, well researched, humorous, and thought-provoking. Here are my three take-aways:

1. We don't realize the enormous amount of corn in our diet--most of it sprayed with a chemical called atrazine, which is a known endocrine interrupter.

2. Supporting local farms that encourage biodiversity is now of utmost importance to me.

3. The government is manipulating our understanding and access to fresh, nutritious food.

Check out Mel's blog for a more thorough review of the book: Gluten Free Krums

1 comment:

  1. hey Megan - a comment from Switzerland where I am eating LOTS of chocolate and drinking LOTS of espresso (so much for Nourishing Traditions) So glad you enjoyed the book - eye opening to say the least. I was telling some folks here (very international wedding party) about how grass fed beef is becoming very desirable to those wanting to live a more healthy/natural lifestlye. They said, "What do your cows in America eat? They were shocked to find that our beef comes from feedlots and hardly ever sees a blade of grass! I guess that's America in some ways - fast, cheap, and easy food, etc. Hopefully there's a move away from that on a larger scale soon. So glad you enjoyed Italy - it sounded wonderful. I'm just north of there now - going home Wed.

    ReplyDelete