Sunday, March 16, 2008

Nourishing Traditions

I have a little more energy to post again today.  

When I first began my search to cure my aching joints,  I started out reading The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  I followed the diet religiously, and cut out everything except meat, nuts, healthy oils (including liberal amounts of coconut oil), and vegetables.  I lost 15 pounds in a few weeks, and was able to do more yoga and walking than ever before.  Then, after two weeks, I gradually incorporated some sprouted grains (another post on that later), fruits, and goat's milk yogurt.  I basically stick to this diet now, but will occasionally cheat.  

I was intrigued by Rubin's theories that fats were good, so I looked at his sources.  Weston A. Price, the Charles Darwin of nutrition and a dentist in the early 1900s, looked at primitive versus modernized people and their diets.  He wrote his findings in the book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. I special ordered it from a library down the cape, and read as much as I could until I had to return it. Price's seminal work was the foundation for a movement of what Sally Fallon calls "Politically Incorrect Nutrition." Fallon, a nutritionist and political activist, teamed up with Mary Enig, an expert in lipids and nutrition, to write the cookbook on steroids, Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
. I can't say enough about this book. It's a well-researched cookbook that includes rationale for her startling nutritional premise, "Animal fats and cholesterol are not villains but vital factors in the diet, necessary for normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels." [NT] I think anyone who is interested in transforming their health should read this book. It's the bible of nutrition, IMAO. The Weston A. Price Foundation was founded in 1999 and has a fantastically informative website: http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm. It's worth checking out if you have questions or have some extra time.
I mentioned this in my first post, but it's worth mentioning again - the yahoo group Native Nutrition: Optimal Health Through Traditional Diet has been a great way to have some dialogue around these ideas. It's been so amazing to relearn nutritional principals and watch my body respond to what I believe it really wanted. Bonus: liberal amounts of butter, oil, eggs, and meats are actually GOOD for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment