Friday, March 21, 2008

Beet Kvass

I had no idea what kvass was this summer when I embarked on a journey to master this fizzy Russian drink. All I knew was that beets are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet, and that fermentation is a highly desirable, easily digestible way to consume food and drink. According to Sally Fallon, "Folk medicine values beets and beet kvass for their liver cleansing properties and beet kvass is widely used in cancer therapy in Europe. Anecdotal reports indicate that beet kvass is an excellent therapy for chronic fatigue, chemical sensitivities, allergies and digestive problems." The pigmentation in beets that gives it a rich hue is a cancer-fighting agent, and is especially known to combat colon cancer, which of course is always on our mind with Mark's Crohn's. So, in my attempt to introduce more nutrients into our bodies, I experimented with beet kvass. Now, I drink it when I'm feeling low on energy, or when I know my diet hasn't been as colorful as it could be.

Here is a simple recipe from NT:
2-3 large beets, peeled and cut up in 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup of whey
1 t of naturally harvested Celtic sea salt
filtered water
2 quart glass container

Mix all the ingredients together. Let sit at room temperature, tightly covered, for 2 days. Transfer to the refrigerator and enjoy! I drink about a half of a cup each morning before breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on a mission to figure out the real pronunciation for Beet KVASS!

    Could you help me out?

    Is it really (k'vass)?

    Thanks
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete